CCC Legacy "Cow Town" Chapter #123 is based out of Ft. Worth, Texas. Chapter #123, was originally chartered in 1985. After operational changes in 2008, the chapter reorganized as a CCC Legacy Chapter with second generation leadership. Great efforts are made to honor the CCC alumni leadership who first established the chapter. As of the 2012 it is the only remaining NACCCA Chapter that is fully functioning and operates within the bylaws of the CCC Legacy Corporation.
The chapter is a regular supporter of the CCC Heritage at the Fort Worth Nature Center and other events within the Texas State Park system.
Anyone can become a member. They serve as CCC advocates and share the CCC story. Monthly meetings are held every second Saturday of each month from 10:30 am to 1:00 pm at the North Side Multipurpose Center, 1801 Harrington (North), Fort Worth, TX 76106. Chapter dues are $10 a person annually and are effective from October 1 to September 30. National membership in CCC Legacy is a requirement of chapter membership.
For more information on how to become a member and help promote the CCC in Texas contact: President, Mike Pixler, at 817-929-1557 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CCC Monument contributed by #123 located at Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge
In 1990, Chapter #123 members were instrumental in placing a granite monument to honor the work of the CCC at Lake Worth. In this 80th Anniversary year the monument has special meaning as following generations once again honor the work and heritage of the CCC at the Nature Center.
Text on the monument reads:
CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS
FORT WORTH NATURE CENTER AND REFUGE
The Civilian Conservation Corps was created by the federal government in 1933 during the Great Depression. Thousands of unemployed young men were enrolled in an unprecedented national conservation work force to reclaim and preserve our nation’s natural resources of forests, parks and eroded farmlands.
Men of the civilian “Tree Army” were housed in tents and barracks, fed, clothed and given medical care by the U.S. Army. They moved in 200-man companies to camps often in remote areas, national and state parks and forests or on local lands. An enrollee’s pay was $30 monthly of which $25 was sent home to his family. Camp life included educational classes and varied recreational activities. The CCC’s impact upon a troubled national was both immediate and long-lasting. Most family poverty was alleviated. Camp discipline, good food, comradeship, recreation and work in a healthful environment instilled renewed hope, faith and spirit to a whole generation of men.
CCC Company 1816, Lake Worth Camp Sp-31-T served in this area from 1934-1938. It’s projects planned and supervised by the trails, picnic areas and stone shelters houses here and around Lake Worth.
“We men of the CCC, who reclaimed and beautified your land, leave our works as our legacy to you and future generations and implore you to preserve and improve upon our handiwork.”
Camps could design patches that reflected an image of their area. Co. 879 helped to build the Garner State Park,TX and used Sabinal,TX as a post office address. The initials S.A. means San Antonio District.
CCC Legacy website is published in honor of Mary Halbert of St. Paul, MN, who passed away on March 23, 2015
Her generous support continues to enhance the awareness of CCC heritage.